Monday 7 March 2022

Letter No. 113 Mt Vesuvius, typhus & a Hotel in Pozzoli

 Letter No. 113

AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,
Cent. Medit. Forces 

22/1/44

 

Dear Mum,

                                    It is about a month since I sent you a letter by surface mail but that is only because there is so little news. I have my work cut out trying to fill an airgraph. This is just to let you know what I did on leave.

We expected to be away for two weeks but the army took over our hotel at Amalfi & so the leave was cut down to eight days so that everyone could get away.

    We had a very quiet time indeed because Naples was out of bounds owing to a typhus epidemic amongst the civilian population & so we spent most of our time at the hotel.

In peace times the hotel was a sanitarium for people suffering from gout, lumbago & similar ailments & in each room was a bath into which flowed hot mineral water straight from the hot springs on Mt. Vesuvius. It was good to be able to hop into a steaming hot bath anytime during the day or night.

    The hotel was at a place called Pozzoli, about ten miles from Naples & we spent our days just wandering around the town. We just used to walk down the street & buy a couple of pounds of walnuts or almonds & then sit on the sea-wall & eat them.

    I only went on two trips while I was there. They were to the top of Mt. Vesuvius & Sorento. It took us an hour & a half to walk to the top of Mt Vesuvius & about ten minutes to come down again. I wouldn’t like to see you try & walk it. It was almost too much for me.

    That is all I did for the eight days I was away. The weather was beautiful the whole time we were there & it has been pretty good since we returned.

    I spent the day to-day putting up a hut for our mess. It is about 15 ft wide & 30 ft long & stands about 10 ft high. It is made from galvanised iron & angle iron & just fell together.

Well, Mum, that’s all for now but I will write again soon.

Much love to all at home 

                                                      Lovingly Yours

                                                                                          Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment