Monday 7 March 2022

Air Letter No. 12 Meeting with Cecil Cooney

Air Letter No. 12                         No. 2   I.N.A.

AUST. No 34171 Cpl Cooney, JF., 467 SQDN RAAF c/o AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

9thJuly ‘45

Dear Mum,

            Well, Mum, I hope my last letter wasn’t too much of a surprise for you but now I will tell you what I did on my last 14 days leave from which I returned last Tuesday.

            First of all we went to Edinburgh to have a look around Scotland. Bo & I only intended staying for three or four days but finished up staying a week because it was such a beautiful place. While we were there we went out to see Mrs Neil, the mother of one of our Scotty Bofor gunner friends from the desert & she gave us a marvellous time. Before I left she asked me for your address & she said she would write & tell you how I was looking etc. so if the letter hasn’t arrived yet you can expect it shortly. You may also get one from a Mrs Ronaldson, the woman we stayed with in Edinburgh.

            After we left Scotland Bo went to see his lass in Manchester & I went to Brighton to see Terry but she was home in Liverpool on leave so I went up there & stayed with the family for the rest of my leave.

            On my way from Brighton to Liverpool I decided to spend a day in London to see if I could find Cecil. I went first of all to Ealing Studios, about 15 miles from London, but he worked at Denham about 15 miles further out so I caught another train & went out there. When I arrived there everyone was at lunch so I had to wait around until two o’clock. At two o’clock I went & saw the fellow in charge of the cameramen & he told me that Cecil had just finished a picture & was at his home at Park Royal about halfway between London & Ealing so I went there & found him & his wife working in the garden.

            When I told him who I was he took me into the house & I sat there for about two hours telling him as much as I knew about the family which wasn’t very much. He told me that next time I get some leave he will take me out to the studios & show me around the place. He said that when I wrote to you to ask you to remember him to everyone.

            Well, Mum, that’s all for now but I will write again soon & let you know if there is anything fresh on this Pacific posting bit I think I won’t stand much chance of getting out of it.

            Will be anxiously awaiting an answer to Letter No. 1

                        Love to Dad

                                    Lovingly Yours             Frank

Please send money as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment