Monday 7 March 2022

Air Letter No. 11 I will probably be getting married

  

Air Letter No. 11                                             No. 1     OK

AUST. No 34171 
Cpl Cooney, JF., 
467 SQDN RAAF 
c/o AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, 
KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

9thJuly ‘45

Dear Mum,

                        I was hoping to be able to write & tell you I would be coming home soon but that is just the opposite to what is happening to me. As you can see I am no longer with 461 Sqdn but in 467 & very soon I will be going on pre-embarkation leave & after that will be off to the Pacific.

            For certain reasons which I will explain shortly I will be flying out there & not leaving here until sometime in Sept. or Oct. I have been down to Kodak House for the last three days & having interviews with everyone of any importance to see if it is possible to get off the draft but I had no success at all. An officer from records will be coming up here in a few days so Stork, Bo & I will air our views to him & see what can be done but I’m not holding too much hope. At present Stork, Bo & I are the only ones with over three years service in the sqdn except a few sgts who have asked to be put on the draft.

            Now the reason I am in the flying party is that I will be probably getting married in August or early Sept. I know that will be rather a shock to yourself & Dad, but I asked Terry to marry me when I was on leave last & she said she would. You may think it’s sudden but, Mum, if you knew Terry you wouldn’t blame me & I know you won’t. Terry is 19 about 5’5” in height & a W.A.A.F.

            She is sweet & she loves me as much as I love her which is the main thing. I met her the second day I was in the country & I go down to see her every chance I get. I have a photo of her that I will send air-mail  at the same time as I send this letter.

            I went up a few days ago & cancelled my allotment so if it stops about the time this letter arrives you will know the reason.

            Another thing is that I’ll need some money to get married so will you draw about £50 out of my book & send it over. If you go to the Commonwealth Bank they will cable it to the Commonwealth Bank in London & I will be able to get it three days after you send it.

            We haven’t made any definite arrangements yet but as soon as I hear from you & I get the cash I will go down to Brighton & get the day fixed.

            Well Mum I will close this letter & write another one to tell you what I did on my last leave.

                                    Love

                                                Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment