Thursday 17 March 2022

Air Letter 16 I've a lot of questions to answer about the loved one

 Air Letter , not numbered

AUST. No 34171 
Cpl Cooney, JF., 
c/o AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, 
KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

22ndAugust ‘45


            Dear Mum,

                        When you read this letter you will think Dad is quite justified in thinking I have precious little common sense because in spite of all I said in my last letter I think Terry & I will still be getting married but it won’t be until I get my first leave from Europe & that won’t be for several months yet. We expect to be leaving here within the next few weeks & I’ve no show of getting off the squadron.

            I’ve a lot of questions to answer about the loved one so I had best hop into them from the beginning.

            Her name is Teresa Francis Bannon, stands about 5’5”, has dark hair as you will see from the photo which should have arrived before this because I sent it air mail in an ordinary envelope.

            Terry’s mother’s address is 45 Worcester Rd Bootle, Liverpool ENGLAND. Her father died in 1941 as a result of the blitz & in the last letter I had from Terry she said that her sister (aged 11) died on Sunday last. Monica, her sister who died, was in their home when it received a direct hit & the shock upset her heart. She has been in hospital almost continuously ever since ’42. We went to visit her when I was on leave & she was very sick then & I’ve been expecting Terry to write & tell me she had died for the past few weeks. Terry also has 3 or 4 other sisters – either one or two married, one in the land army & one at school & two brothers – one at school & one about 18 in the Merchant Navy. He may happen to get out to Aussie.

            Terry doesn’t know anyone in Aussie & don’t think any of her friends have married Australians. As for living in a better home than we have, I don’t think she has because they have never had much money. I can’t answer definitely because they have been bombed out two or three times & the house they live in now is one of those “take it or leave it type” & of course, they had to take it. I’m afraid house linen is scarcer in England than at home & also more heavily couponed. 

            Forgot to tell you that the money arrived OK. I opened an account at the C/wealth Bank with it. Also put more in it since.

            Don’t think Terry can cook very well yet but she has been going to cooking & sewing lessons for the last couple of months. She may seem a bit shy at first but really has plenty of life in her & is always talking & laughing about something. She also has a bit of a Lancashire accent. She tries to tell me she hasn’t but I often notice it.

            By the way, Terry is R.C. but in name only. Goes to church less often than Dad. We will be getting married in a C. of E. church. – Let me know if there’s anything else.

            Love to Dad

                        Lovingly Yours             Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment