Monday 7 March 2022

Air Letter No. 13 The Occupational Release Scheme

  

Air Letter No. 13                                 No.3     W.A.

AUST. No 34171 
Cpl Cooney, JF  
c/o AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, 
KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

12thJuly ‘45

Dear Mum,

            I’ll be going on leave again in 3 or 4 days so I’m writing to you now in case I don’t have the chance to do so whilst I’m away. This is not my pre-embark leave but I expect to be going on that about the third week in August.

            I have been trying to get off the draft for the last few days but as yet I have had little luck. However the officer from records will be coming up here & I may have more success with him.

            A letter came through to the Engineering Officer today regarding the Occupational Release Scheme & so to-night I wrote to Mr Hansen at Lovelocks & asked him to apply to Air Board Australia for my release. The general idea of the scheme is to allow servicemen the chance of learning more about the trade they were in before the war. It is only a six month temporary release but when we get home I believe it means an immediate release & that is what I want. The good things about it are, firstly, that I would be home in about eight months instead of eighteen &, secondly, the money side of it is very interesting. From the Air Force we get full pay plus 13/- a day allowance & also full wages from whatever firm we are with. I’m applying to to get with the British Leddington Co.

            Speaking of money, we heard on the Aust. Newsletter a couple of nights ago that the bill regarding gratuities had been passed in Parl. & the figures are 15/- a month for home service & 75/- a month for overseas service so with my deferred pay I am at present worth over £320 plus interest. By the way, with the £50 you have, I hope, drawn out of my bank, what is the balance.

            I hope you liked the photo I sent you of Terry, Mum, she really is a lovely type of girl. When I go on leave in a few days we are going to make some definite arrangements as to the wedding.

            Well, Mum, space is running out so I will close & if I get a chance to write on leave, I will do so.

Love to Dad

                                                            Lovingly Yours             Frank

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment