Thursday 17 March 2022

Air Letter , (2) 20.9.45 The most luxurious military establishment in the world

 Air Letter , (2) 20.9.45

AUST. No 34171 
Cpl Cooney, JF., 
c/o AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, 
KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

20th Sept, ‘45


            Dear Mum,

                        I promised to write you a couple of days ago but have been too busy to settle down to writing at all.

            The camp we are in, I’m sure, is the most luxurious military establishment in the world. It is spread over several square miles of ground & laid out in a way that spells German system at every turn. To start off the living quarters are large two storey blocks & bedrooms contain 2 beds, 2 seven ft lockers, wash basin with hot & cold water, a table & the room is centrally heated. Adjoining each bedroom there is a private sitting room with lounge chairs, settee, card table, writing desk & a large open fire place & also a gas fire.

            In the centre of the living blocks there is a beautiful indoor tiled swimming pool 35 metres long & about 20 metres wide with diving boards, diving tower & all sorts of physical training equipment. The water in the pool is kept at body temperature the whole time. A door leads from the pool to the shower room in which there are 40 hot showers & the same number of foot baths. The pool opens at 7 o’clock in the morning & closes at 9.30 at night so we have a shower & a swim before breakfast & one before we go to bed.

            The hangars are large enough to hold about 30 Spitfires comfortably & are kept at s temperature of 80’F during summer & winter & the electrical equipment in them makes work a pleasure. We are living & working under conditions that are better than anyone else in the RAAF has ever had or likely to have.

            Calle is the nearest village of any size but I have only been in the once. In Calle cigarettes sell for £2.10.0 STG a packet of 20. It sounds incredible but it’s true. I don’t smoke as much as I used to.

I may be back in England & married sooner than I expected because to-day I had to go & see the Eng. Off re my repatriation. It was just to see whether I wanted to go home or not but at least it’s a start.

Unfortunately we are leaving this ‘drome next Tuesday & going to one about 10 miles from Hanover. I believe the quarters are very good but I don’t expect them to be as good as this place.

            From what I can see nobody wants us over here & I wouldn’t be surprised if we travelled from one place to another & eventually get pushed off to England.

            By the way the parcel containing the sugar, tea etc arrived here this morning. I may send the sugar & tea to Terry’s mother.

            Well, Mum, that’s all for now so I will close & get to bed.

                        Much love to Dad                     Lovingly Yours

                                                                                    Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment