Thursday 17 March 2022

Air Letter , (1) 17.9.45 Posted to Germany

 Air Letter , (1) 17.9.45

AUST. No 34171 
Cpl Cooney, JF., 
c/o AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, 
KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

17th Sept ‘45


            Dear Mum,

                        I suppose I will be getting more letters from you shortly asking why I haven’t written for so long but this time I have a good excuse because a couple of days after I wrote to you last I went on eleven days leave but after eight days I received a re-call & when I arrived back I had 8 hours to pack up & we left England.

            I spent the first few days of my leave in Edinburgh & the rest of the time in Brighton & on the way back to camp I called out to see Cecil.

On my way through Edinburgh to Brighton I called into Kodak House & got all the papers for the wedding & when I got to Brighton Terry & I went around &B made arrangements for having the Banns read. I will have to give the vicar about a month’s notice as to when I will be able to get some leave here but I don’t think it will be for about three or four months yet. At least that’s the way it looks at present but of course, anything may turn up re my repatriation. To-day all fellows who came overseas before December ’41 were called up for repat. So my turn may not be far off.

            Terry & I are going to be married at St Marks at Brighton. I haven’t been inside the church yet but RAAF padre at H.P.D.R.C. said it’s a very nice place.

            Well, now for our trip. We left England by an invasion tank landing craft at 8 o’clock on the evening of the 11th& travelled all night & up until midday on the 12thwhen we landed at Ostend in Belgium from where we went to the transit camp in the big holiday resort of Blankenberghe where we spent the night. Next morning at 7.30 we caught the train & travelled all day through Belgium & Holland & got out at Hanover in Germany at midday on the 14th. From Hanover we went by road to our camp at Fassberg which is about half-way between Hanover & Hamburg.

            I haven’t seen much of the surrounding district yet because ever since we arrived here we have been moving from one billet to another & haven’t been off the station. However we are going to Calle (the nearest good village) to-morrow so I’ll write & tell you about it.

            I haven’t room to start telling you about the camp or what I saw from the train window so I’ll write again soon when I come back from Calle to-morrow.

            Much love to Dad                     Lovingly Yours

                                                                                    Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment