Monday 7 March 2022

Air Letter No 8 I’m posted to England!

  

Air Letter No 8

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  Cent. Medit. Forces 

27thMarch ’45                                                            Don’t answer till you hear from me again

Dear Mum,

            When I arrived back from 10 days “duty” in Rome I had three air-letters & a sea mail letter waiting for me.

            I have more news about the party & that is you can cancel it for a long while yet. We had a visit from the Group Capt. In charge of repatriation & he told us that as there is now only half as many squadrons in this command as there was when the scheme first started we will now only get 50 replacements every two months instead of 100 & also told us that with a bit of luck we may get a boat in November or January but repeat but, he also told a few of us something that made us forget all about the repatriation scheme.

    The news is that this will probably be my last letter from Italy because something I have been waiting for for ages has at last happened. I’m posted to England! I don’t know exactly when we are leaving but it will be as soon as the next replacements arrive & they are due any day now. It also means two or three stripes will also be coming my way, I believe. I guess you can imagine how excited I am, I have given work at this squadron right away. Another good thing is that all my best cobbers are going with me, including Stork (sgt), BO, Kevin Harris, Ben Dodd & ten others.

            My fingers are just about fixed up now although they are still very tender if I knock them.

Dad was very lucky that the car was not smashed up properly when those sailors stole it. Has anything more been heard of them yet?

            I told you about the club the padre started for us at the last ‘drome, well at our new camp he has started a bigger & better one. He somehow managed to get a big refrigerator & ice-cream machine & I have got the job of making it work. A lot of parts were missing & so I went to Rome for ten days to see if I could get the spares. I managed to get most of them the first couple of days I was there so the rest of the time was leave. As soon as the gas arrives from Naples it will be working.

            The last couple of weeks the weather has been simply glorious & adjoining our room we have the best little sun verandah & most of the day I lay out there in a pair of shorts.

            Well, Mum, space is getting short so I will close & write again when I’m settled in England. Which I hope will be very soon.

                        Love to Dad

                                    Lovingly Yours 

                                                Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment