Monday 7 March 2022

Air Letter No. 14 Glad you liked the sketch

  

Air Letter No. 14

AUST. No 34171 
Cpl Cooney, JF., 
467 SQDN RAAF 
c/o AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, 
KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

17thJuly ‘45


Dear Mum,

            I thought I would be on leave by now but before any of us could get leave we had to have a full course of tropical needles. I have to have my last one tomorrow & I am going on leave on Thursday midday.

            When I got back from a small arms course today there was two letters from you on my bed (No’s 25 & 26)

            You needn’t be worried about my mail not getting here because it is addressed to 461 sqdn because so many Aussie squadrons have been broken up lately that every bit of mail is checked at Auspost & whatever squadron we are with the number of it is scratched across the front in blue pencil &, even if you put a sqdn no. on it, it is still checked.

            I couldn’t remember whether I had written & told you I was sending the book & ‘portrait’ or not so I didn’t write from here & tell you.

            Glad you like the sketch but I’m not really as fat in the face as I look in that ”photo”

By the way, I checked my height & weight a few days ago, I am exactly 5’11” tall & weigh just on 12st 4lbs.

            On my last three letters you may have noticed that just beside the number of the letter, at the top of the first page, I put 2 or 3 letters. If you put those letters together in their right order you will know where we are headed for when we leave here. At least, that’s as far as we know at present if it’s changed I’ll start numbering them again.

            I sincerely hope that the money I wrote & asked for has been sent long before this letter arrives because when I go on leave this time we are going to make definite arrangements & I will certainly need the cash. If it doesn’t arrive in time I will be able to get sufficient money from Stork & Beau.

            I’m still hoping my temporary release comes through before we leave here. I’m going to Kodak House when I’m on leave to see what can be done about it from this end. The camp commandant at H.Q. is an ex-3Sqdn adjutant & he always welcomes any of us like long-lost brothers so he will be able to tell me who I’ll have to see about it.

            Don’t think I’ll be able to see Mrs Turner’s friend at Newport ‘cos I’m at present stationed in Lincolnshire & that is a long way from Wales.

            Well, Mum, I’ve no more for now so I will close.

                                    Much love to Dad

                                                            Lovingly Yours             Frank

P.S. Haven’t heard from Betty for ages

 



No comments:

Post a Comment