Monday 7 March 2022

Air Letter No. 15 I’m not yet ready to get married

Air Letter No. 15

AUST. No 34171 
Cpl Cooney, JF.,  
AUSPOST KODAK HOUSE, 
KINGSWAY LONDON ENGLAND 

15thAugust ‘45


                  Dear Mum,

                                    I received three airletters from you on Friday but I didn’t answer them straight away because I was just leaving camp to spend the weekend at Brighton.

You asked me a lot of questions about Terry in your three letters but I have just finished writing a letter to Terry & called everything off. ‘ve been trying to do so for the last week or so but have only just got around to it. As a matter of fact I went down to do it at the weekend but somehow or other I just couldn’t.

                  I’ve thought about this marriage quite a bit & come to the conclusion that I’m not yet ready to get married & settle down.

                  As you can see from my new address I am no longer with 467 squadron so I will not be going to the Pacific but unless I can get out of this one I will be in Denmark by the first week of next month.

                  Now that the war is all over I’m hoping that 467 & 470 sqdns will break up & the fellows in those squadrons who have just come over from Aussie will come to this one & all of us with a fair amount of overseas service will be able to get home. Of course I don’t know yet what will happen but it looks as if it may finish this way.

                  In future just address my mail to Auspost etc. without any squadron No. on it because I may be shifting around  bit from now on. Not that I haven’t been doing so ever since I came to England but I hope to be in the PDRC at Brighton & then on the boat for home.

            Glad to hear George Brissett will be discharged shortly. Had a letter from Mr. Ebeling at Lovelocks & he told me he had applied to Air Board Melb. For my release so as soon as I can get away from here I should be a civilian again.

            I went out to British Thermostat Co. on my last leave & had a talk with the managing director & could have started work that day if I had wanted to but it was too far out of London so I went to Kelvinator Ltd & got a job there in the servicing dept. so if I can get out of this squadron I will work there until the boat leaves & get a bit of experience.

            No more for now but will write again soon.

 

Love to Dad

                                                            Lovingly Yours             Frank 

No comments:

Post a Comment