Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letters 98 to 104 Airgraph letters Cairo to Bari

  Airgraphs were used when mail was sent by plane - the Kodak Eastman company developed a method to photograph Airgraph forms, store them on microfiche then print them when they got to Australia. These letters were about a third the size of the original, so the writing was very small as can be seen in the photo. I have published several of them together as it was limited what could be written, so many of them are just about answering mail.  Note from Tricia

Letter No. 98

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  ABROAD

7th AUG ’43   

Dear Boop,

                  I was just about to answer your airgraph letter No 35 when No36 turned up & so I will answer them both together. From the time you posted they have only taken three weeks to reach here & so they are much better than ordinary mail which has been taking anything up to ten weeks to come across.

If you do happen to get married soon don’t forget to let me know as soon as you can. I sent your pyjamas etc. when I was in Cairo about a month ago so I hope they get there before you get hitched.

                  I received a cable from Mum to say that she had received the £20 but as things stand at present I think I will be sending home for it again because my leave ran away with quite  bit. But I let it go for a while yet  until I see how fast I can save again.

                  I also received a cable from Lovelock’s to say that they had not heard from me for some time so I’ll have to drop them a line, probably one of these.

That’s all for now.  Much love to Mum Dad & Leo

                                                      Lots of Love

                                                                        Frank

 

Letter No. 99

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  ABROAD

7th AUG ’43   

 

Dear Mum,

                  I have just finished writing one of these airgraphs to Betty & this is in answer to your letter No 78 sent by airgraph on the 8th July. It arrived here on the fourth. As a rule they only take 21 days as did one I received from Norm Dunn, but I suppose that he just caught the plane with it.

                  I have been into hospital again & this time I got my appendix out so I won’t have any more trouble with them. I have already posted you a letter telling you all about my leave.  Unfortunately I didn’t get to S. Africa.

I haven’t had any word from Auntie Lizzie for about four months or more so if she has written to me I can’t understand what has happened to the letters. I haven’t written to her for about 2 ½ months but I will send one of these to-day if I have the time.

I have just finished consuming the greater part of a very large watermelon. Melons grow in abundance around here as do grapes but the grapes are very small & not much good at all.

Well, Mum, space is limited so I will finish. Much love to Dad & Betty & Leo    - Lovingly Yours

                                                                                                                                                                                                      Frank

 

 

Letter No. 100

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  MIDDLE EAST

6th Sept. 1943

                  Dear Mum,           

                                    It’s nearly a month since I wrote to you last but I have not been able to write until now. A day or two after I wrote to you last I was taken to hospital again for a couple of weeks. The trouble this time was that I broke out in a rash all over my body, legs & arms. The rash then turned into blisters which broke & left marks all over me.

                  The cause of this complaint is that I had good food for a month while on leave & after so much bully etc it was too much for the constitution.

                  I haven’t received any mail for the last month although there is some around somewhere. There are only about 20 of us left on this side now & so all our mail goes over & after it’s sorted ours is sent back. We should get some in a day or so. No more room now so I will write to Bet. Much love to Dad & Bet. Lovingly Yours, Frank

 

Letter No. 101

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  MIDDLE EAST

6th Sept. 1943

Dear Bet,

                  Have just finished writing to Mum but these things are so darn  small that I didn’t have enough room to write as much as I wanted to.

I have no idea whether you left the clan of happily unmarrieds as yet because mail is very scarce. At the present time the twenty of us in this camp are having a very good time & we are all quite content to spend the rest of our overseas service right here. We cook all our own meals & so we live well.

Breakfast each morning consists of steak & eggs or bacon & eggs (three) & of course we have oatmeal to start with. Nobody worries about lunch very much because tea is always the best meal of the day. I am the cook for the mob & last night I put on soup followed by pork sausages in breadcrumbs, marrow, fried onions & baked potatoes. For sweets we had beaut pancakes & golden syrup. All in all it was a good meal. I made two plum puddings the previous night but something went wrong with the cooking. Much love to Mum, Dad & Leo. Lots of Love – Frank

 

Letter No. 102

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  MIDDLE EAST

20th Sept. 1943

Dear Mum,

                  I have been receiving one or two letters nearly every day this week but I have had both hands bandaged up & so I have not been able to answer them. From you I received letters 69, 70, 80, 81 & 82. Letters 71 to 79 are still missing with the exception of airgraph 78. Everybody else’s people seem to think we will be home soon, but  you are closer to the mark & I don’t think there is a chance of leaving here before it is all over but of course that won’t be very long now.

Tell Betty that next time she speaks to that big, fat, useless Phil Gilbey to tell him he might try to tell the truth for once because I would be very surprised if he even saw me over here & for over twelve months before he left he wasn’t even with the squadron & so he couldn’t have seen me when I came out of hospital & so the first hand news was just so much bunk. Everyone here hopes he will be posted as far from Sydney as it is possible to send him & not in the city as he hopes.

I suppose the reason why Aunty Lizzie hasn’t heard from me for so long is because I wrote to her a couple of weeks ago for the first time in six months or more.

                  Just received a cable from Betty to say that she was getting spliced early this month so I suppose she has left home by now.

.

Letter No. 103

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  Cent. Medit. Forces

8th October 1943

Dear Mum,

                  I received your letters No 71 to 80 about a week or so ago. They arrived just as we were packing up prior to going on board the barge & as we have been on the move ever since I have not been able to answer them. We are now somewhere in Italy but I can’t tell you exactly  where just now. It has been raining the last few days but that is nothing to what we will get when winter sets in properly.

You were asking if chocolates carry alright, well they melt & go very dry but they taste OK so you can keep on sending them because I like chocolate & it is hard to get any over here. I received Parcel No21 with this mail.

I suppose Mrs Michaels is very pleased that her Fred doesn’t have to go into the army after all. I suppose her Jack is still ‘roughing it’ at some station near home.

Haven’t heard from George Brissett yet, so I will send him an airgraph sometime to-day. No word from George Buxton either.

I said I might have to write home for some money to pay back what I borrowed for leave, but I have saved about £25 since I came back so I won’t need any from home. However I think I will be buying a few things to send home because everything is so cheap. Dress material is only a couple of bob a yard, & first quality fully packaged silk stocking are only 6 pairs for £1. All undies are cheap too so when we get near a town I will see what I can do. Beer is 3d a bottle & champagne is 2/-. A good place this Italy.

The cable from Rodineades (? Hard to read) hasn’t arrived yet but will probably turn up later, no more room now. Note new address. Much love to Dad, Bet & Leo                                      Lovingly Yours,     Frank

 

 

Letter No. 104

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  Cent. Medit. Forces

8th October 1943

Dear Bet,

                  Mail has been arriving in twos & threes for the last few weeks & I don’t know what I have answered & what I haven’t. however your letters 33 & 34 & airgraphs 39 & 40 are here now. I received the second page of airgraph No 40 about ten days before page 1. So I knew you were going to get married but I had no idea when. I also received your letter cable.

                  You say that the younger set has adopted a squadron up north. The boys here think it would be a good idea if some kind souls adopted a squadron in Italy seeing as how we are a duration mob & those up north only stay for about twelve months. I will have three years service up tomorrow & over 18 months of that has been spent overseas & from what we were told we’ll be here for another twelve. Just the same it’s a lot better being in a civilised country after being in the desert so long.

I meant to tell you before that the things I was making for you out of Perspex won’t ever get finished because when we were packing up we had to cut our gear down to a minimum & so the half-completed box ended up in the fire. Sorry & all that, but that’s how it is.

As for the hitch-hiking, it is not at all uncommon, it is the only way to get around over here. The bus service isn’t what it used to be. One of our boys arrived here yesterday, after hitch-hiking  from Cairo. He was told at Cairo that we were somewhere in Italy & to get here as best he could so you see it’s quite the usual thing. That’s all for now. Much love to Mum, Dad & Leo.   Lovingly Yours        Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment