Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter 105 our kites are going off shortly

 Letter No. 105
AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  
Cent. Medit. Forces

15th October 1943

 

Dear Mum,

                  The canteen is out of airgraph forms so I am sending yo this letter in answer to your letters No’s 83, 84, 85 & 86.as soon as some more forms arrive I will send you one.

At present I am so full up with a cold that I can hardly see. Hope it goes away soon because I don’t want to get caught with cold for the whole winter.

With your four letters I also received one from Aunty Lizzie, so I answered it straight away because it’s some time since I wrote last. Also sent a few words to George Brissett.

                  You said George Young was away with the C.C.C. but the censor thought that I shouldn’t know where he was so he cut that out.

Re the jewellery I told Betty that I would get for you – I thought you would rather have something for the house so I didn’t get anything while I was in Palestine on sick leave. Before I caught up to the squadron some of the boys got some very nice bedspreads etc. so when we get near an inhabited town again I will see what I can get. I will also get some towels & house linen seeing as how it is rationed now. Some of the boys bought some best quality double bed sheets for about 6 or 8 bob a pair. The reason why things are so cheap over here is that before the war there was eighty lire in a pound sterling but now there is four hundred to the pound. It takes the It is a few days to wake up to the fact & if we get in early the stuff is almost given away. I’ll see what I can do anyway.

                  By the way. I was expecting to get a cable to say that the parcels had arrived. They are well overdue so I hope they have not been lost because they were the best I have sent so far.

                  Well, Mum, our kites are going off shortly so I had better go out & get mine ready.

Much love to Dad, Betty & Leo     Lovingly Yours

                                                                                          Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment