Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter No 95b Had my Appendix out

 Letter No. 95 ( transcriber’s note: there are 3 letters No. 95)

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  ABROAD

29th June  ’43

 

Dear Mum,

                  I know this letter is about two weeks overdue but to-day is the first day I have had out of bed for some time. I took sick about two o’clock one morning so I got hold of the Doc & he bundled me off to hospital straight away.

I was operated on & I had my appendix out later in the morning. I feel OK again now except that I am a bit weak in the knees but that will wear off. For the first four days after my operation I had a bad cold in my chest & I was coughing continually day & night. Every time I coughed I felt as though the Doc was at me with his knife again & believe me I felt far from in the pink.

                  On my third day in hospital one of the boys brought me down some mail which included letters No’s 52, 53 & 54 from you & two from Betty both No 26.

                  Glad to hear that you were getting plenty of mail about the time you wrote these letters but I suppose the average has dropped off rather suddenly the last couple of weeks because I have slipped rather badly with my letter writing. After I get out of hospital I will be due for about a months leave down in the Delta. If I can get any transport & the money holds out long enough I will see if I can go up to Syria for a look around. If not I will see if I can catch a plane going down to South Africa. In any case I don’t think there will be very many letters written while I’m on leave. However, I will write you a lengthy report on my doings when I catch up with the squadron again.

I will be flying down to Cairo but if the plane lands anywhere near Derna I will get out & see if I can find Elliott’s grave.

When I get down to Alex. I will see what I can do about dress materials for yourself & Betty & suiting for Dad. Anyway, I will leave it until I am coming  back because if I get up to Syria I will take a run over to Damascus because I believe the silk market is something out of the box.

I now have something to say that I wish I didn’t have to. Much & all as I like fruit cakes I’m afraid I will have to cancel any further orders for same because on the sixth I received two from you – one sent 2.12.42 – one from Aunty Lizzie & one from Marjorie & three out of four were bad. Marjorie’s was the only good one & believe me it was good. I was terribly disappointed in the others after waiting so long for them & then I had to throw them out. None of the other boys are unlucky like that so if you make them some other way I may be luckier & get some good ones. I also received a parcel which was very acceptable. I can’t remember what number it was but it was done up in a square biscuit tin. I put the couple of dress lengths, some cigarettes for Dad & a couple of other things in the tine but it is still in the tent back at camp & I will send it as soon as I get back.

Still haven’t had any news from George Brissett or Buxton – can’t understand them.

You said in one of your letters that I would have three overseas stripes on my arm but  I can tell you now that I definitely don’t want three because we get one for going overseas & one for each completed year. That means I will have to be here two years & I don’t want to be over here that long & what’s more I don’t think I will be.

The allotment is certainly mounting up. I will be able to have a good bust up with it soon.

                  The King was up at the squadron about a week ago as you probably read in the papers. I was supposed to go on the parade but I got dumped in here before the day of the parade & missed out.

                  I have been searching through this letter & I’m not at all sure that you will be able to read it, but I’m still a bit shaky.

The sister has just told me that I will have to go back in bed again so I had better close & get to it.

                  Much love to Dad & Betty & my regards to Leo

                                                                        Lovingly Yours

                                                                                                            Frank

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment