Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter 96 Foreign money

 Letter No. 96
AUST. No 34171
 LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  ABROAD

5th AUG ’43   

 

Dear Mum,

                                    As things stand at present it looks as if I will be doing a lot of writing before I catch up with my mail.

Another lot of mail came in last night & out of it I received 8 from you. They were No.60 & 62 to 68. That makes 14 letters that I have received from you in the last few days. I also received an airgraph No…. from you & one from Betty.

In the last three days I have received 34 letters, 2 airgraphs & 3 cables, which is pretty good going.

                  I can’t understand how Vivi’s letters arrived there before Maureen’s because I wrote & posted them at the same time so that they would get there together. I received an answer back from Vivi but so far there’s been nothing from Maur.

I don’t think it will be very hard for you to guess where the squadron is now because like the eighth army we have got too good of a name & so I don’t think we will get a spell until everything is finished &, as for coming home, that seems further away than ever.

                  I’ll bet Dad had his chest stuck out when he got all those fish the other day & Uncle Jim only got a couple. There seems to be plenty of them around there now so I’ll do a bit of fishing when I get home.

The cutting you sent of the two fellows with beards were some of our squadron, you can imagine what we looked like when everyone had a beard like that.

I am enclosing a few more notes to let you see the different sorts of money we have to get used to over here. The 25 Syr piastres is worth 7 ½ pence, the 5 Gyppo piastres is 1/3 and the 10 lire is worth 5d. I can’t send you any Palestine banknotes because the smallest is 500 Mils worth 12/6.

                  I will write to that shop in India as soon as I get some of this mail out of the way.

Don’t think there is anything else for the present but I will write again soon.

Much love to Dad & Betty & my regards to Leo

 

                                                                                          Lovingly Yours

                                                                                                            Frank

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment