Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letters 107, 108 Bari, Catching fowls and leave in Naples

  Letter No. 107
AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  Cent. Medit. Forces

29th October 1943

                       Dear Mum,

                                    I received an airgraph from you to-day which was sent on Sept 28th. Also received a cable from you & an airgraph from Norm Dunn. Cables are taking their time to get here nowadays because this one was sent on the 18th May which is over five months ago. The reason for the delay is that it was addressed to LAC. Turney & it has been laying in the sorting room at Auspost in Cairo. It was a cable to say you were sorry to hear Rex died etc.

Fancy Norm Dunn getting married again, but as he said you’re never too old to get caught. I must write to him as soon as I finish this & give him a dig for getting himself  caught the second time. He also told me that he was over to see you. As yet your letter telling me about his visit has not arrived.

            You must have given your leg a good knock when you fell, I hope it’s better by now.

I’m still waiting for a cable to say that the parcels I sent had arrived. They may take a bit longer than usual because I posted them at the New Zealand Club & they may have been sent to NZ first. I have just about given up hope of receiving the cake you sent with the last parcel of eats because the parcel arrived about a month ago & if the two were sent the same day the cake should be here by now. Still the mails are mixed up as much as anything.

No more room now so will close. Much love to Dad, Bet & Leo

                                                      Lovingly Yours,

                                                                  Frank

 

Letter No. 108

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  Cent. Medit. Forces

3rd Nov ‘43

Dear Mum,

I have been putting off writing for a few days in the hopes that some mail would arrive, but none has turned up  yet, so I had better try & scratch out a few lines even though news is as scarce as usual.

                  Leave to Naples & the Isle of Capri started yesterday. We are going in parties of twenty or thirty for five days at a time. The party which left yesterday are going to see if they can get a hotel in Naples for us to stop at. I don’t know if I’m going in the next party or the one after that but I will write & let you know how things are. If it’s as good as Bari I don’t think there will be any complaints from the boys because everyone enjoyed themselves in there.

                  I still have two parcels to send to you, one for Dad & one for you I will send them as soon as can get something to wrap them in.

I would have liked you to have seen the boys catching the fowls the other day. We chased them around for a long while but they were too swift for us so we armed ourselves with seven foot sticks of bamboo & then formed a ring around the unfortunate fowls & closed in on them. As they tried to run between two of us we  made mighty swipes with the sticks & hit the fowls at a place just below the head. The thirty odd fowls were being plucked in less than two minutes.

No more now so I will close. Much love to Dad, Betty & Leo.                    Lovingly Yours,

                                                                                                                                                                                    Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment