Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter 95c Tripoli shopping

                                                                        

Letter No. 95 ( transcriber’s note: there are 3 letters No. 95)

AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  ABROAD

2ND AUG  ’43

 

Dear Boop,

                                    Three letters from you were here when I arrived back from leave. One letter was dated 13/4/43 & the others were 28 & 29.

                  You certainly seem to have had a good sort of  holiday. When I get out of this show I’ll have to see if I can get Leo to organize a holiday for me up there. Do you think he would do that for his brother-in-law?

You certainly made Leo’s car earn its keep on the way home. It’s a wonder to me that it survived the trip.

                  I’m glad that you liked the evening bag & compact. Although I bought them in Tripoli they were not made in this part of the country. They were made in India & the fellow in the shop said that before the war the compacts used to sell at 1/6 or 2/- each but because they have not been able to get any stocks for the last 3 ½ years the price has gone up considerably. Just the same I think they were rather cheap at 15/-. When we first got to Tripoli they were only 6/- but they sold so quickly that the price was put up.

                  By the way, when I wrote to Mum I forgot to tell her that when I was out at my kit bags I got the receipt for the Taj Mahal & so when I get a chance I will write to India & see what can be done about tracing the missing parcel.

                  Also tell Dad that as soon as I can get hold of some more cigarettes I will send them home because I know smokes are short. Before I went on leave I had a few hundred Craven A & Peter Jacksons to send him but, as smokes are so hard to get hold of in Palestine, I took them with me & used the lot. Still I will be able to get some more sooner or later.

                  At the present time I am in a transit …………………….. (transcribers note: letter was torn and 7 lines of text missing……….)           every day without exception ……….the wind blew at gale force & fills everything with sand. All the food is filled with sand & after being on leave for a month & having good clean food all the while, this is a bit hard to take.

                  I am going to Tripoli to-morrow afternoon to see the picture “Eagle Squadron” a few of the boys have seen it & reckon it’s a good show. By the way, has Desert Victory been on out there yet & if so have you seen it? It’s a good show.

Well, Bet, that’s about all for the present but I will write again soon.

Much love to Dad & Mum & my regards to Leo

                                                                                          Lots of Love

                                                                                                            Frank

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment