Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter 97 News is very scarce

 Letter No. 97
AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  ABROAD

5th AUG ’43   

 

Dear Boop,

                  News is very scarce so this is just a short note in answer to your letters 30 & 31. I have thirty odd letters to answer so that is another reason why I won’t write very much.

                  Thanks very much for the photo of yourself & Leo. It’s a very good one indeed. You look like a pretty good sort.

Next time you see Col Langley you can tell him that if he thinks I’m so lucky to be over here he can gladly take my place. I’ve just about fed up with it & I could put up with the “hardships” of a home station quite easily, even if the pub is ten miles away. It would do these fellows that complain about the beer rationing at home, a lot of good to be here for a while where the only drink we have is the memory of the last one some weeks previously.

                  I think that the chances of being home in time for the wedding are very, very remote because, if you are not already married, you will be before Xmas & I don’t think there’s a hope of my getting home by then. I think that, as things stand at present, I will be entitled to wear three overseas chevrons when I do get back.

                  I don’t know what the chances are of me being able to get something for Girlie’s 21st birthday because at present I am in a place where there is nothing like that at all & secondly the pocket is showing a debit of over forty quid. However, I may be able to get hold of something when I go over the other side.

                  You may think that Mrs.  Nicholson’s writing isn’t much good but until you’ve seen Norm Dunn’s you haven’t seen bad writing. He writes terribly small & yesterday I received an airgraph from him & , as they are cut down to about a third of their original size, it took me about an hour to read it.

                  Well, Bet, there’s no news at all so I will close & write to you from over the other side.

Much love to Mum Dad & Leo

                                                      Lots of Love

                                                                        Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment