Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter 106 Betty's wedding & eating better

  

Letter No. 106

AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  
Cent. Medit. Forces

23rd October 1943

 

Dear Mum,

                  Your airgraph No 91 arrived a few days ago but I was away on leave for a few days in Bari & I only arrived back last night.

It seems as though Betty’s wedding went off alright, I’m sorry I missed it but I suppose it couldn’t be helped. I may be able to get home for the first anniversary I hope.

                  While I was on leave I got hold of a bedspread. It isn’t the sort I intended getting but I think you should be able to make some use of it. I will pack it up to-day or to-morrow. I will also put a few Iti stamps in the parcel & some razor blades for Dad.

                  When we first got to the town we are now stationed near we were walking down one of the streets when an Iti came uo to us & said, “At last you have come, we have been waiting for you for a long, long time, but don’t stop now go on & kick the b…….. in the …….” Thinking we had found someone who could speak English, we started talking to him & all he said was “Non comprehenda Inglese” which meant that he didn’t understand English. It turned out he had learned what he said to us, off like a parrot & he had no idea what it meant. The way he said it we thought he could speak good English.

                  We have been eating a bit better food the last week or so because there is about £500 in the extra messing funds & the sergeant cook has been going out & buying pigs & poultry. We have had turkey twice in the last eight days.

There’s thirty fowls over at our mess now & they will be getting the axe sometime this afternoon & we will be having them roasted for tea to-morrow night.

                  We have a wireless “speaker” in the tent now which is  connected to the wireless in the next tent. The “speaker” consists of a set of earphones in a tin hat. It’s simple but quite effective. The wireless mechanics are fixing us up a good speaker now.

                  It’s just twelve months to-day since things started to happen at EL Alamein. I wonder where I will be at the next anniversary.

                  Our camp site at present is very nice with plenty of green grass & trees around but the troube is that if we get the slightest rain we collect about 6 lbs of mud on each foot.

There is also plenty of mosquitos around in the evenings so I am taking plenty of Atabrine tablets to keep off the Malaria.

Well, Mum, there’s no more now so I will close.

                  Much love to Dad, Bet & Leo

                                                      Lovingly Yours,

                                                                        Frank

I will send an airgraph as soon as some forms arrive.   F.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment