Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter No 95a Dress fabric and Gazelles

 Letter No. 95

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  ABROAD

30th May ’43   

 

Dear Boop,

                  Just a short note this time because there is no news & I am only writing in answer to your letters No’s 23 & 24. I suppose I should write to you more often but every time I start to write home I head the letter, Dear Mum, more or less through the force of habit. Still you get the greater part of the letters parcels so that should be your share. I’ll see if I can’t do better in future.

As I told Mum, I was in town a few days ago & I bought a bit of white silk & some other floral material for you. When I got back to the tent I remembered that you had asked me to get you some white material to wear under you wedding frock & I wasn’t sure whether you wanted silk or satin. As I have burned the letter in which you asked me for it I am still very much in the dark. However I will go in tomorrow & get about five metres of it for you & send it on the off chance. If it is not suitable for your wedding dress maybe you may be able to make something out of it. Even if it is only baby clothes.

I will see what I can do regarding the elastic, but I will have to wait until we get to a civilized city first. You ought to be like the females in this part of the world. They don’t bother about will-power to keep their pants up – they don’t wear ‘em.

                  All I can tell you about a gazelle is that it is like a small deer. It stands about 2’6” to 3’ high & can travel at a good speed across the open desert. They are fawn & white skinned so the handbag that Joan got was probably made out of one of their skins.

                  The censor must have been feeling a bit crook when he censored your letter No. 24 because he cut a couple of lines out of it. The piece that was cut out was where you were talking about Eric Amery, you said “Eric had lots to tell of his experiences” – CUT OUT – “Max brought home a lot of shirts etc”. Be careful next time.

                  Well, Boop, there’s not much news so I will close but will write to Mum again soon.

Much love to Dad & Mum & my regards to Leo

                                                      Lots of Love

                                                                        Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment