Tuesday 19 October 2021

Letter 109 19 mths overseas & Rumors

 Letter No. 109
AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  
Cent. Medit. Forces

4th  Nov ‘43

 

Dear Mum,

                  I wrote to you yesterday but to-day some mail arrived. From you  I received letters No’s 87, 88 & 89. Also received one from Rex’s wife & one from Norm Dunn.

                  You certainly seem to be well in the wars these days. First it’s your knee & now it’s your ankle.

                  What Howard C (perhaps his Uncle Howard Cooney?) says about our beaut “Robert” doesn’t surprise me at all. I told the boys about it & we had a good laugh – also a few of the officers. By the way, our “Bobby” is now C.O. at Mildura & that is the station all members returning from this squadron are sent to get used to the bulldust of home stations after being free from that sort of thing for a couple of years.

                  The blue I had for you was lost somewhere in Tripoli when we were moving around so much. However, I should be able to get some for you over here. If so I will get some & send it to you.

                  Yesterday the crowd I came over with completed nineteen months overseas. I don’t know if it has seemed that long to you but to us the time seems to have flown. I don’t know if you read that piece in the papers about ground staff serving overseas could come home after two years but if you did you needn’t take any notice of it because we are here for the duration of this section of the war whether it lasts another two months or two years. There are a lot of bets placed in the squadron that it will all be over by next Easter. I hope so anyway.

Rumors are going around that the army we have been supporting since we started the push in Egypt will be pulled out shortly & be sent to England. If so it’s fairly certain that we will go with them because Monty gave us a talk some time ago & told us that wherever he took the 8th he would take our wing. I hope the rumor is true because I’ll never get another chance to see the world so I might as well see what I can while I’m over here.

The pilots told us yesterday that the hills about 20 miles further up this side of Italy are covered with snow & from the temperature today I don’t doubt it. The wind is as cold as a mother-in-law’s breath.

I still haven’t sent your parcels but will do so one of these days.

Well, Mum, that’s all for the present but I will write again soon.

                  Also received four bundles of papers in to-days mail. I always forget to mention them.

Much love to Dad, Betty & Leo.       

Lovingly Yours,

                                                                                          Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment