Wednesday 29 December 2021

Airgraph No 16 5pence a day colonial pay

Airgraph No 16

AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F.,  Cent. Medit. Forces 

20th  February ‘44

Dear Mum,

                  At long last some airgraphs have arrived about 2 ½ thousand came in & out of those I received five – three from you 13,14 & 4/2/44 & two from Betty.


We could do with a bit of your warm weather over here. I haven’t been so cold for so long in my life. At present it’s snowing rather heavily & has been doing so for several days.


Haven’t received an airgraph from Aunty Lizzie yet but Aunt Molly’s arrived some time ago.


The money didn’t arrive in time for my Naples leave. In fact it hasn’t arrived yet & I don’t really need it now because to-day we were told that we are to get 5d a day colonial pay since we landed at Suez & that amounts to over £13½ sterling or £16½ Aussie. However I’ll be able to use the other alright. Probably to buy things for Dad. There’s only about 200 smokes left out of the thousand I had to send Dad so I got another thousand to-day. They are only 37/6 sterling a thousand so will probably send them regularly. About five hundred a week. May even be able to build up a supply for me out of that. I’ll need them when I get back from what we read in the papers about the shortages.


I’ll probably write to Bert in a day or two. Wrote to him about six months ago but didn’t receive any answer from him. Must write to Norm Dunn also.

No more now so I will close.

Much love to Dad & the family                                             Lovingly Yours                    Frank

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment