Tuesday 15 February 2022

Air Letter No 5 Tower of Pisa & billeted with an Italian family

 

 

 

Air Letter No 5

AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  
Cent. Medit. Forces 

12thDec. ‘44


Dear Mum,

            Well, here I am again late again as usual.\ but it’s the same excuse as usual – no news.

I will be going to Florence again the day after to-morrow. It’s not my turn yet but one of the boys who was supposed to go was financially embarrassed so I changed places with him.

By the way, when I wrote to you & told you about Florence I forgot to tell you that one day whilst we were there we got in a truck & went about 60 miles to Pisa. We climbed on top of the Leaning Tower & kicked up a great din with the bells. Laurie Le Guay was there & he took several photos of us standing in front of the tower so you may happen to see our photo in the home papers.

             Since I wrote last I have received several air letters from you also a couple of letters by sea-mail & several parcels & papers was also a birthday cake from “the lad” which, I might add was about the best I have ever eaten over here. Unfortunately the cake you sent (No. 34 I think) was terribly knocked about & also mildewed. The opposite sides of the tin were touching one another. It just looked as if it had been used as a football by the post office. The parcel from DJ’s was well packed & carried very well. As did Master Graham’s cake. You were saying in airletter No.5 that they were sending some A.P.C. powders in a parcel & I may need them over Xmas & I think you may be right because for the past few months our beer issue has been  saved up & at present we have about eight bottles per man & we still have another issue & a special Xmas issue to come so we should have ten or twelve each & A.P.C. powders will be very handy I think.

            Since I wrote last we have moved further up & am now living in an Iti’s house with several other lads & the Iti family. I am sitting in front of the fire in the dining room & all the family is sitting around talking, which accounts for mistakes & the bad writing I write about two words & someone asks me something. I have been writing for about an hour & a half already. “Mum” has just about finished cooking us a big supper of spaghetti. She thinks we are the best fellows she has ever met.

            Our squadron padre managed to get hold of a large house here & turned it into an Aussie Club. Calls it Koala Casa (Casa is house in Iti) & from ten in the morning until ten at night we can get tea & cakes. There’s also a games room & writing room. Twice a week about seventy of us go to a dance & this afternoon three English gave us a concert there. 


No more room now so I will close & have my spaghetti supper.

            Love to Dad, Bet Leo & the Lad

                                                Lovingly Yours

                                                            Frank


 [CS1] 

No comments:

Post a Comment