Tuesday 15 February 2022

Air Letter No 2 Harvesting season and a white rabbit in the tent

 Air Letter No 2

AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F.,  
Cent. Medit. Forces 

5thAugust ‘44


Dear Mum,

            It’s ages since I wrote last but there is absolutely nothing to write about, but in the last week I have received 4 airgraphs No’s 36 to 39 & 9 letters No’s 131 to 139 & so I had better hop in & answer them.

Sorry to hear that the infant has been sick, hope he is better by now. One of the lads in the tent has a sonnamed Michael who was born after we left home. Don’t forget to send some photos as soon as possible.

You were saying in letter No 137 that ground staff was going to be gradually home, but hope my turn doesn’t come until I have a chance to see Italy, well, I’ve seen all of this country I want to see & the sooner I get away from it the better I’ll be pleased. The only towns worth seeing are Rome, Naples & probably Florence. But they have been so systematically looted by the Huns that there is practically nothing worth buying. I went up to the front past Arezzo about a week ago to see a few lads from the Canadian Div. & while I was up there I got myself a motor bike so as soon as Florence falls, which should be in the next day or two, I will go up & have a look at it.

            All the papers that you send seem to get here alright also the parcels. I sent you a parcel a few days ago containing a few scarves & those Rosary Beads for Aunty Molly & Vivi & Maur.

            It’s harvesting season in the district around here now & after we finish work each night we go to wherever the threshing machine is working & give them a bit of a hand. At first the Iti’s. couldn’t understand us but now they expect us each night & if we don’t turn up one night they think we’re sick. The thresher stops at each farm for about two days & after it has finished at each place a great Thanksgiving feast is turned on with plenty of wine, turkey, chicken etc. The meal is set up in the yard & there is usually about 90 to 100 sit down to it.          The way the girls work is marvellous. They start about 5.30 in the morning & finish at 9.30 at night & work just as hard as the men all the time.

About two weeks ago we were all resting on our beds when a white rabbit hopped into the tent & started eating a slice of my bread & since then he hasn’t left the tent. Nobody knows who it belongs to or how it came to get here.

            Since we have been on this ‘drome we have been able to have a hot shower every afternoon because a mobile bath unit is now with the wing.

            Well, Mum, I’m afraid I can’t think of anything else to write about so I will close.

Owing to the lack of news I don’t know how long it will be before I write again but don’t worry ‘cos I’m all right.

                            

                                Lots of love to Dad, Bet, Leo & Graham.

                                                                            Lovingly Yours

                                                                                            Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment