Tuesday 21 September 2021

 Letter No. 84

AUST. No 34171 

LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F. 
MIDDLE EAST

20rd April ‘43

                 Dear Mum,

                   Just a few more lines to let you know how things are going over here. I am now out of bed & have been transferred to the tents at the back of the hospital & in a day or so I am going to be evacuated by hospital ship to Alex (Alexandria) & so it looks as if I will be away from the squadron for quite a while.

 I still have rather acute pains in the stomach & now the doctors seem to think that they will have something to do with the muscles I strained some months ago but I don’t think it is.

 I went over to the cookhouse to-day to get the dinner & while I was there I had a good look around. Everything is spotlessly clean & nothing was smashed up by the Huns before they left.

 In the middle of the room is a large fuel stove & everything else is operated by steam – the whole place looks like the cookhouse of some modern hotel. The tucker is extremely good & we get fresh meat & eggs nearly every day.

The barber’s shop which, by the way, is located in the morgue is run by two Italian prisoners, & like all the prisoners that I have seen in the last couple of weeks they don’t seemto worry how long they stay on this side of the line.

 Well, Mum, that’s all for now but I will write again soon.

                 Much love to Dad & Betty

                                                       Lovingly Yours

                                                                         Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment