Saturday 25 September 2021

                                                                             Letter No. 92

AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F. 
ABROAD

24th May ’43    

Dear Mum,

                  I had hopes of getting up to Tunis again but the day after I wrote to you last we had to pack up & move back about 350 miles. We are now settled down again & tomorrow or the next day our kites are going to start flying again so that the new pilots can get in a bit of training so my hopes of getting a rest are pretty slim.

                  Our canteen truck arrived back from Algiers shortly after I wrote to you last but unfortunately they didn’t get as many supplies as they expected, but what they got was very nice. We were issued with five bottles of beer each, ten Cadbury chocolates, 100 Craven A’s & 50 Three Five cigarettes. Tunisia is a duty free country hence we were able to get Craven A’s for fourpence for ten. I suppose they area shilling or more at home now. If you can get them. The five bottles of beer cost six shillings. We got four bottles of Canadian & one Scotch.

                  After I wrote to you last I went & saw the adjutant & he gave me the rest of the day off to go up to Sousse & see Rex’s grave. Rex was buried in a special part of the civil cemetery which is set aside for British troops. When I got there I saw that the grave was nice & tidy & there were fresh flowers on it. I was told that each British grave is adopted by two children from the Sousse school & every second day they go down & attend to it.

                  There has been no reply back from the War Graves Commission regarding my enquiry about Elliott’s grave at Derna so I have asked the squadron padre to see what he can do about it.

It’s hard to come back to the desert again after being in such good country, as we were in at Kariouan, for a while.

I meant to tell you before that when we were up at the battlefield near Enfidaville I was poking around on the back of a truck when I found a dozen one pound tins of Marmite so now we have plenty to spread on our biscuits & bread. These tins of Marmite are British issue & must have been amongst supplies which were captured by Jerry at some time or other.

                  No more now but I will write again soon.

                                    Much love to Dad & Betty & my regards to Leo

 

                                                                                          Lovingly Yours

                                                                                                            Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment