Saturday 25 September 2021

Letter No. 87

                                                                             Letter No. 87

AUST. No 34171 
LAC Cooney, JF
No. 3 Squadron R.A.A.F. 
MIDDLE EAST

8th May ‘43

 

Dear Boop,

                   It’s a few days now since I received your letter No.21 but the squadron has been rather busy & so I have been kept on my toes all day. At the present time the army is just chopping into the enemy everywhere & so the kites are all having a spell.

                  A service was held at Rex’s grave yesterday but I did not hear about it until it was too late. However I will see the Adjutant & get a day off to go up to Sousse & see the grave.

                  A couple of hours ago a truck left here to go to Algiers to get some beer etc. for  the canteen. Whether they will have any luck or not remains TO BE SEEN. Some of the boys have had letters from pals in Aussie who complained about the beer rationing there.

They don’t know how well off they are because since Christmas we have had one small bottle each & they can’t tell me that the rationing anywhere could be any worse than that.

                  I meant to mention it before but while I was in hospital Laurie Le Gray paid a visit to the squadron. He said that he knew me and would look me up on his way back but he went up to the front & then on to Algiers so I don’t know if he will even be through here again.

                  One of the lads got hold of a little pup yesterday & brought him back to the tent so we look like having a few sleepless nights because the pup is only four weeks old. I don’t know how the pup’s pedigree is because we are only acquainted with the mother of the brat. We have christened the creature “Snifter” because in many ways he resembles the animal in “Man”. He must have one of those cheap American bladders in him because he springs a leak at some very, very awkward times – curse him!!

                  When I got back to the squadron the other day I found out that one of my mates out of the tent had been operated on for an appendicitis so it looks as though I only had sympathy pains for him.

                  By the way, address my letters to “Abroad” from now on instead of “Middle East”, because I’ afraid that in a couple of months time I will not be in this part of the world at all but chasing around somewhere in Italy or some other part of the continent – who knows?

                  Well, Bet, that’s all for now but I will try & write again in a few days when all this part of the war should be cleaned up.

                  Much love to Mum & Dad & my regards to Leo

                                                                        Lots of love

                                                                                          Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment