Thursday 10 December 2020

Letter No 64 Armoured Parade for Gen Alexander in Tripoli

  

 

Letter No 64

AUST. No 34171
LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F. 
MIDDLE EAST

 8th Feb. ‘43

 

Dear Mum,

                  Here I am again with a few more lines of news.

I received three more bundles of papers & a Pix (magazine) yesterday & as things have been slack to-day I have read them all. Also received a cable from Betty to-day & I can’t understand it at all. It was sent on the 6th Jan & all it says is “All well at home”.  I’m hoping there was more to it & it had some reference to the coat that I sent to Betty. I will enclose it with this letter & if there was more to it let me know.

                  I went to Tripoli again the day before yesterday & there was nothing open. It was Saturday & over here Saturday is Jewish Sunday & everyone seemed to shut up shop & go for a walk. So I couldn’t buy anything for you.

                  In Tripoli, as in every other town in North Africa, there is plenty of horse-drawn buggys to travel from place to place in. These buggys are called “Gharries” & the drivers in here still squeal as much as they do in any other town when we only give them about 1/- for three-quarters of an hour ride. Actually the hire of them is set at 1/- an hour but they think that if they make a great song & dance about things we will give them more but more often than not we give them less than is stipulated just to hear them go crook.

                 

                  I forgot to mention it before but when I was in town last Wednesday, the third of Feb., I saw the greatest parade of tanks, armoured cars, & tank recovery trucks & trailers that I have ever seen.

They were backed into the gutter, a few inches apart, for about three quarters of a mile along the main street. There were light & heavy tanks, armoured recco cars, light & heavy armoured cars, Bren gun carriers, ambulances, trucks, trailers etc.

On the opposite side of the road were six pounder anti-tank guns, 25 pounders, light & heavy ack-ack & dozens of other sorts of guns. It was an extremely impressive ceremony & General Alexander went up & down the street & took the salute. All the Italian civilian population cheered & clapped him but I suppose it would have been the same to them if we were the Axis troops & the salute taken by Gen. Rommel.

After Gen. Alexander took the salute he stood on the steps of the headquarters of the Highland Division & the whole H.D. marched past. They were all dressed in kilts & marched up the street six deep. The full pipe band was playing & I was sorry that I did not have my camera with me.

 

Well, Mum that’s all for now but will write again in a couple of days.

Much love to Dad & Betty

 

                                    Lovingly Yours

                                                      Frank

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment