Saturday 3 October 2020

                                                                                        Letter No 58

AUST. No 34171
LAC Cooney, JF
No. 3 Squadron
R.A.A.F.
MIDDLE EAST

24st Jan ‘43

 Dear Mum,

Another two bags of mail dribbled in again today. I received letters numbers 26, 28 & 29 from you, a card from Tasmania, a card from Pat Alfonso & my birthday cake from Aunty Lizzie. Also papers.

                  I told Betty a few days ago just what to put in parcels but I forgot to mention the condensed milk so you can add that to the list I have already sent.

                  Let me know from time to time how my allotment money is building up.

            I’m sorry you felt so bad about not getting a present for Christmas from me but under the circumstances I just couldn’t get anything. As we were getting plenty of leave & parcels for Xmas did not have to be in until the first week in November, I decided to leave the purchases until late in October but in the middle of Oct. all leave stopped & the push started & we have not had any leave since. The only place on the way up where we could get anything at all was Derna & I bought a few things there & posted them to you.

                  I suppose by now Bill has decided that the Air Force is not such a good racket after all. Being put in as a guard is bad enough but being sent to the Bar 20 is just about the last straw. The dust storms that I experienced for the few days I was there were nearly as bad as they are over here.

                  I have been wondering why Vicky has not written before now but I suppose I will get a few lines from her in the next mail.

                  I haven’t answered any of the other letters that I received on the 20th & 21st so I had better close Z& get on with them.

                  Much love to Dad & Betty & my regards to Leo & all at Cremorne

                                                                       

                                                                                          Lovingly Yours,

                                                                                                            Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment