Wednesday 9 March 2016

Letters 10 & 11.. 20.9.42 & 28.9.42


Letter No. 10
Aust No34171
LAC  Cooney JF
No.3 Squadron RAAF
Middle East 
Letter No.10

20.9.1942
Dear Mum,
It is over a week since I wrote last & I have been waiting to hear from you but the only thing I have received is a cable to the effect that my letters had not arrived so I will have to try & scratch out a few lines without a letter to get some news from.
My leg is about better now & I have been released from the hospital but now my hand is starting to come up so I may have to go back again. The only thing about it is that I am able to have a few days rest.
When I wrote to you last & asked you if you wanted any dress material but now there seems to be some argument as to whether you will have to pay duty or lose your ration tickets so before you write & let me know go to the post office & let me know how things stand.
Well, Mum, that’s about all I can write about for the present so I will close & write again in about a week. I only hope I get a letter from somebody.
Give my love to Dad & Betty
Lovingly Yours 
Frank





Letter No. 11
28th Sept 1942

Dear Mum,
Another week has gone past since I wrote last & still I have had no mail from home so I will just have to make this a short note like the last one.
There is a dust storm blowing this afternoon & I think it is the worst one we have ever had. After every line I have to blow the dust off the paper so that I can see what I have written.
It is well over seven mnths since I heard a word from Betty Nelson & the other day Ivan Hansen, one of my mates, got a letter from his girl to say that she was engaged to a soldier & now every time I sling off at him he says that I can’t brag because I have not had a letter. I am hoping to get one in the next mail which is supposed to be here next Thursday.
Since I wrote last I have had another thirty hours leave in Alex. I think that every letter I mention that I have been on leave & by now you must be thinking that all we do over here is go on leave but I can tell you that this is far from right & that we have plenty of work to do.
While I was on leave I et an A.I.F. fellow who comes from Willoughby & when I said I came from Cremorne he told me that his sister knew Ron Spurway’s sister & I thought that if Betty saw her she could let her know that we had met. The A.I.F. fellow’s name was Colin Elliott.
While I was in town I bought a camp stretcher & believe me it’s much better than sleeping on the floor.
Out at the camp we now have pictures every Friday night & this helps greatly to relieve the monotony of the desert & makes us feel much more at home.
When we were at home the moon didn’t worry us at all but over here things are much different because a few days after each full moon jerry starts making a nuisance of himself with his bombs & we don’t agree with this at all. To make matters worse there is a full moon each month so you can see we have quite few sleepless nights.
About a month ago the squadron started a cricket team & they play against the various units near our ‘drome. So far they haven’t been beaten. Yesterday they played the A.I.F.base & cleaned up.
That about all for now will write again in about a week.
Give my love to Dad & Betty
Lovingly Yours
Frank


No comments:

Post a Comment