Thursday 3 March 2016

Letter No. 6 - 28.7.42

Editors note, this letter was censored in 2 places, so a word was also missing on the back of one of the pages)



Letter No. 6   
Aust. no34171
No.3 Squadron RAAF
Middle East
28.7.42
Dear Mum,
I have received your first letter this morning & as I have a few minutes to spare this afternoon I am answering it straight away because it may be a few days before I get another chance.
I’m glad to hear that you received the cable I sent from (CENSORED) The only thing I am worried about now is whether or not the parcels have arrived. I sent a cable last week but I don’t know whether you would be able to understand it or not. The parcels I was referring to were those I sent from India. If you have received them yet send an E.F.M. cable & let me know.
Your letter is the second I have received since I left home. The first one was from Peggy. I don’t know how she got hold of my address but it was not the same address that you had on yours. It arrived about a month ago.
You said in your letter that Betty had written the previous night but so far her letter has not arrived but I suppose that it will turn up shortly.
As nearly 3 months are up I suppose that you have been to the hospital & given another blood donation. As long as you don’t suffer any after effects everything should be alright.
When you write to George again if you haven’t already done so give him my address & he can drop me a line & let me know what he is doing.
You said that George’s description of an air raid was very amusing. I don’t know whether I lack the necessary humour or not but when I have to sleep night after night in a slit trench which is dug mainly with my fingernails & upper dentures, I don’t see the funny side of it.
And now for a bit of the last couple of weeks happenings. Things generally are getting a bit better because about every four days we have 24 hours leave in Alexandria. I have been about 3 times in the last two weeks & could have gone in again today but I stayed at camp to catch with a bit of my correspondence (PIECE CUT OUT OF LETTER) ion is that a day in Alexandriaruns away with a good few quid & that sort of thing does not do my pay book any good.
This week has been a week of celebrations for the squadron. In the first place our commanding officer Sqd Ldr Gibbs received his D.F.C. for outstanding action last May when he had to bail-out & broke his ankle. The plaster was taken off a few days ago so he will be flying again shortly.
The second celebration was when the squadron dropped its 1,000th bomb & this is rather good considering the time we have had fighter bomber planes.
I don’t think I mentioned it before but a few weeks ago I met Alan Sherwood from Mosman so if Dad happens to see Allan’s father he can mention that we had met & he may get a feed of fish from him. Allan is in No450 Squadron & they (CENSORED)  A few nights ago I paid him a visit & we had a few bottles of Aussie beer. He has been over here for about 15 months & was anxious to hear what was happening at home when I left.
I managed to find that ticket off the Comforts Fund parcel that I was telling you about in my last letter so next time Mrs Tomlinson calls in you can show it to her & she will probably get you to go to one of the meetings with her. You’ll love that I know.
I think that is about all I can write about for the present & I will close.
Give my regards to everyone who has been asking after me & my love to Dad & Betty
Lovingly Yours
Frank      x  x 





No comments:

Post a Comment