Sunday 28 February 2021

Letter No. 62 After the Fall of Tripoli

 Letter No 62
AUST. No 34171 LAC Cooney, JF 
No. 3 Squadron 
R.A.A.F. 
MIDDLE EAST

2nd  Feb. ‘43

Dear Mum,

                  Just returned after spending another days leave in Tripoli & this is just a short note to let you know what I did & what I saw.

                  I forgot to mention it before but the day Tripoli fell I witnessed one of the greatest fireworks displays I have evr seen. Everyone fired off rifles or coloured flares & cheered like mad & put on a great show.

As I said I have just returned from leave again & this time I had a better chance to look around. We spent about half the day looking around the Arab Quarter, which, by the way, is out of bounds. I bought a couple of things while I was in there & I will pack them up when I finish this letter. I bought a powder compact & an evening bag for Betty & two pairs of stockings for you. I don’t know how the colour or texture of the stockings will suit you ‘cause I’m afraid I’m not much of a judge of same but as you can’t get them at home now I thought you may be able to make use of them. Let me know if they are all right. I have also included a few little things for Dad in the parcel & hope they suit him alright. I will draw some money before I go on leave because there are a few little things down in the Arab Quarter that I think you would like.

                  Tripoli has changed quite a bit since I was in last & more shops are opening every day so it should be a worthwhile leave town as soon as the harbor is opened & food starts coming in.

                  The civil police forces are still directing the traffic & they are done up in their best Italian uniforms & trying to show the eighth Army how snappily they can make their movements.

                  The harbor entrance has been blocked with numerous sunken ships & at the rate the salvage party is working it will not be very long before the harbor is opened. There is also a good few ships sunk & beached in the harbor & these are being towed out of the way.

                  The waterfront is extremely pretty being lined with many palm trees & beautiful homes. At each street intersection there is an island in the middle of the road & in the centre of this there is a large fountain, which are all working.

                  One of the largest buildings on the waterfront is the Union Club which is for NCO’s & the ranks of the three forces. When the Jerries were here this building has been for officers only & so it is done out very elaborately. It consists of a large theatre, waiting rooms, lounges etc. & one wing is one large room for reading.

                  We had a look over a beautiful cathedral that had been built by the Italians a few years ago. I took photos of the place so I won’t go into detail here.

                  Well, Mum, that’s more than I thought I would write so I will close & write to you shortly.

                  Much love to Dad & Betty & my regards to Leo

 

                                                                                          Lovingly Yours

 

                                                                                                            Frank

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Would be great to see Tripoli one day and see how it has changed.

    ReplyDelete