Sunday 20 September 2020

                                                                            Letter  No. 55                                             
Aust. No. 34171         
LAC Cooney, JF
No3 Squadron
R.A.A.F
MIDDLE EAST
20th Jan '43

Dear Boop,

 

                  Have just finished writing to Mum & this letter is in answer to your letters numbers 10, 11 & 13. I answered No 12 some time ago. I definitely don’t mind you having that bracelet that I sent to Betty N. &, as I said before, it’s much better for you to have it than to have it returned to the lost property office where anyone may get hold of it. I have intended writing to Mrs Carter & thanking her for letting you know the parcel was there for some time but somehow or other I haven’t had a chance.

                  Re suggestions for parcels I think you have a good idea what to send, however I just asked the boys what they thought would be most acceptable & the suggestions I got were:- chocolate (if possible), dried fruit, nuts, Horlicks tablets, asparagus, any sandwich spreads – except cheese - , lollies of any description. Now & again you can include a toothbrush & a tube of paste. Don’t forget that cakes are still the most acceptable parcel of all.

                  It’s a long while since I have had any word from Aunty Lizzie & the cake she mentioned in one of her letters has not shown up yet but I still have hopes of it arriving shortly.

                  See that you keep Mum away from the hospital if these blood transfusions are going to play up with her at all.

                  As soon as the cake tins arrive I will send them back to you again. I don’t know what I will be able to put in them but I will fill one of them with cigarettes for Dad & if we can get any leave in Tripoli I will see if there is anything in there that I can send home. I’m afraid I won’t be able to get any calico in Alex because at present we are about 1800 miles away from the place. Most of the parcels come over done up in a piece of sugar bag or some such fabric. So if you can get hold of any of these bags it would be better to wrap them up in these.

                  I’m glad to hear that the cross & brooch arrived alright, all I’m worried about now is whether the coat & jewellery has arrived yet I have been expecting to receive a cable to say that the coat has arrived but so far I have been disappointed.

                  Well, Bet, I’m afraid that’s all I can make up for the present but I will write to Mum again shortly.

 

Much love to Dad & Mum & my regards to Leo

 

                                                                        Lots of Love

                                                                                          Frank



No comments:

Post a Comment